Monday, December 29, 2008

Hard Times: The Upside

Strolling home with my lovely wife and our sass-pot friend Denise, I had a little epiphany. It seemed that most of the talk that evening at a friend's holiday party, indeed much of the small talk of the last few weeks is about the sensational bargains we're seeing at retailers in the midst of one of the worst holiday-shopping seasons on record. Kevin Cole 70% off...my swanky new moleskin blazer (which, I'm dissapointed to say, contains no actual mole) marked down to $26 from $99...bargains galore.























Part of the daily lineup outside the State Employment Service Office. Memphis, Tennessee. June 1938. Photographer: Dorothea Lange.

Suddenly, I realized why whenever you see photos of breadlines, souplines, unemployment lines, even strikes from the Great Depression everybody is dressed so snazzily: there must have been some tremendous bargains, especially on fedoras and straw boaters. 




4 comments:

Kristin Henry said...

Couldn't it have more to do with more formal dress codes from the day? But interesting vision for today!

Keith May said...

Yeah, that new mole-skin jacket's gonna look great in line at the soup kitchen.

Gabe said...

I'll get it Scotch-guarded...

Gabe said...

Katherine pointed out I wrote "Kevin Cole" instead of "Kenneth Cole." "That's why it's 70% off," I said.